Here is a tip shared to me. This will help with those Win2k8 werver.
- Do your vmware tools install and hardware acceleration as normal
- In Device Manager, right-click on the top of the device tree and select, Install Legacy Hardware
- Tell windows that you want to choose the driver to install
- Click Have Disk
- Browse to c:\program files\common files\vmware\drivers\wddm_video and select the catalog file there.
- Follow the prompts to finish the installation and then reboot
- Go back into Device manager and remove the old video driver.
- Everything should be smooth.